Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Way to her Heart

Tenderly, the young man studies
Quails’ eggs on Stratford Market.
“Who’s the lucky girl?”
I want to ask.


(Not that I like quails’ eggs,
But because you only serve
Quails’ eggs, if
You want to impress.)

15-24 August 2008

I have written two poems recently, that I've struggled with, because I wanted to draw parallels with something, but I either made it too obvious, by including extra material, or worried that it wasn't obvious at all, if I didn't. Hence, the 2nd verse being in brackets here. Do I need it or not? The structure of this one is very much influenced by a poem by Leonard Cohen, which I've always loved:

For Anne

With Annie gone,
whose eyes to compare
to the morning sun?
Not that I did compare,
but I do compare,
now that she's gone.

No comments: