Saturday, August 2, 2008

Rapunzel's Lament

I never foresaw
the tangled webs each morning,
shrouding the plughole.

29 July 2008


This is another idea I've been wanting to write about for ages. I wrote "Rapunzel" on 26 June 2007, when my hair was probably only about two inches long. Growing it seemed totally positive, and symbolic of my new-found freedom. Now, it's about 9 inches long, and I'm surrounded by black snow-drifts and bird nests; I can't stop fiddling with it; it takes ages, and tons of shampoo and conditioner to wash; I look completely demented in the morning, with it squashed into weird shapes on the top of my head; and it makes me all hot and sweaty in the summer. However, I do still like it, and intend to keep growing it until some significant milestone is reached (probably my decree absolute...). I didn't come up with the title till the next day, and am quite pleased with it, as it refers nicely back to "Rapunzel", and is gently amusing (well, I think so!). I am still not quite sure if it wldn't be better as:

I never foresaw
the tangled webs, shrouding the
plughole each morning.

No comments: