Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mehndi

Black icing squeezed from
a golden, paper cone stains
swirling lines and dots
on my pale forearm.

A fortnight’s fading,
and the lacy tracery
is just a rusty rash.

Three weeks, and my skin
has amnesia.


15-24 August 2008

This is the other one I've struggled with. I'm still not really happy with it. I felt the mehndi was a very strong metaphor for love/relationships, when a friend commented that my mehdi looked like a rash, after about 2 weeks. I felt it was interesting how something that always starts so beautiful, changes to something ugly or diseased, and finally, disappears altogether... I had a verse about decoration, disease and disappearance (note the alliteration!) being three staging posts on the road of love, but have dropped it, cos it felt far too laboured. Also, can I safely assume everyone knows what a mehndi is, or do I have to put in "henna tattoo" somewhere?!

No comments: