Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Proverb: Reversed

I was too busy pre-
and too drunk, post-party,
to put clean sheets
on the bed,
stripped for off-chance guests.
I crawl under
the naked duvet,
to sleep on the torn
and stained mattress cover.

I did not make my bed,
so/but now I must lie in it.

8 July 2008

I still cannot decide between "so" and "but" in the last line. "So" just keeps it purely factual, light and slightly jokey, whereas the "but" makes it a reference to my situation with Peter. It was the relevance of the proverb turned round, to my life, which made me write it, but maybe it's all a bit over the top and tenuous?

1 comment:

pomopho said...

Hey, you sent me a message on tbw, I couldn't read it though, since I haven't got an upgraded account. My profile is http://www.toyboywarehouse.com/21826.html

I thought it'd quicker and easier to contact you through here, you can email me back at davemobile2000 at yahoo dot com