Friday, February 22, 2008

Earlier "general" poems, with notes

Pedicure


My orange toenails
Hide inside my sandals, like
Fruit-gums in their box.


8 August 2007





My sister treated me to a pedicure! I wanted to have “waiting in their box”, and cldn't see what else to cut to keep it a haiku. Does that matter?




The next five poems, are ones I have written for my creative writing ”workshops” with my friend, Paula. Sometimes, they're “homework”, and sometimes, they're done “on the spot”.



Pizza Oven


The flaming tongue licks
Each round mouthful, till it melts,
And is spat out – hot.


17 September 2007




This one was just “observational”, in a wine bar which serves pizza. We actually gave our efforts to the manager, who seemed stunned, but appreciative!






Dim Sum


Crispy-soft; dry-wet;
Savoury-sweet. Parcels of
Contrast: Yin and Yang.


30 September 2007





This was homework, and we'd chosen the theme of Food. I had been to the terracotta army exhibition, followed by dim sum, earlier that day.







Braille


Fingers become eyes,
When the blind man reads a love
Poem to his wife.


1 October 2007


This was “on the spot”, and we'd chosen the theme of Touch, as it sort of followed on from Food (5 senses).










ACROSTICS


Jenny

Jenny is lonely
Every day, but
Never regrets saying:

No more” to
You.




Again, on the spot. We decided to do something totally technical. It is interesting, how, like the Proverbial poem earlier, they end up surprisingly poignant. This shld strictly be in the Divorce poems, but it's not a Haiku or a tanka!


Paula

Paula floats
Along her life
Under an eternal sun. She does not merely
Live – she is
Alive.


1 October 2007


The 3rd line is a bit long, but who cares?











No comments: